Why you might want to use Amp

Currently working on a blogger template that is completely stripped down to bare bones to setup a AMP site. This just a list of reasons why you start using AMP at least for maybe for blogs which I'm more interested. I wouldn't recommend for business sites just yet. Unless you're site is very simple and straight forward or mostly middler-tier based anyway.

Pro's

  • Everything in a AMP site is styled directly in the beginning of the site, no external stylesheets (a huge performance boost).
  • Global styling forces developer to think globally about their styles. So the styles run more like a style guide.
  • Styles are limited about the total amount for AMP making developers to do more with less.
  • No inline-styles this is a plus because there is no surprises for other developers jumping in or modifying (look at cons).
  • No inline javascript, where this is the same for inline styling.
  • No external javascript, this is really something you will want to know before getting into AMP and you should take a look at the components available in AMP before consider using it.
  • Possibility of better indexing and page ranking!

A lot of the pro's are decisions based on a global performance concept and I kinda like that about AMP but times it works against itself such as having no external javascript for a rich user experience. Which is one of the problems I have with AMP since it limits what you can do with a web application on the front-end. This can kinda be a good thing for a blog, I think as a web developer I try to make my blog too much like other sites when its the content that's important. This limitation can be really helpful for sites looking to be indexed by google better. I think for a lot of the components available most are what you would find on any given site, the only things I would like to see are easily create in a iframe which AMP doesn't have a problem with. I probably should iframes as a pro but I think iframes are a neutral alternative solution so I'll leave it just a comment.

Con's

  • You can't use popular javascript frameworks! My major concern here is that I can't create some UI component if they are not included in AMP.
  • Amp's forced css, there are some css styles that AMP looks for and are required in your application.
  • Components are limited to what the AMP team creates, like my first point this could be a major problem.
  • Forced CDN, you must use their cdn. So you can use a local version of the files.
  • No inline-styling, which is faster and I know some might say too trivial compare but those same people probably said minifying css was too trivial as well. So I don't really care about this one just that I find it odd that the framework prevents it.

Conclusion

That's it for the most part and I'll add more if I run into them but for now I'm pretty happy with the AMP framework and if it delivers on the promise of better indexing or ranking I'm in. One thing I do want to say is the components are very easy to setup, if someone were to create a cms based around the components it would be a cold cut and dry system. The components work off a concept I like to call custom data scripting or custom data configurating. Its where dom elements are used to setup the javascript more so than the javascript setting up the dom. I'll write more on this topic in the future and talk about other styles of javascript.

Popular posts from this blog

UI-Bootstrap Collapsible Sticky Footer

Installing Windows on Acer chromebook 15 cb3-532

Aspetcore: NLog with Postgresql