Notes: Creating an Automated Testing Framework W/ Selenium
Recently finished watching all the videos on Selenium on automated testing and looking forward adding this framework to all my web applications tests. The rest of my knowledge can be found on the Login-Automation project (I took the example and created it around google's login instead of the wordpress example show).
Types of Testing
- Unit Testing
- At the code level, code first! Such as "Mocking" or D.I.
- Integration Testing
- No need for mocking but still code.
- Black-box Automate Testing (BAT)
- Testing in a scope from a user
- Regression - "worked yesterday"
- Absolute Requirements!
- Recorded brittle tests - weakly attached and simple changes break the tests, manual fixes.
- Not Building A Framework - Start out good, but end up the same problem.
- Writing Test like Code - Passed off to not programmers and slow degrade.
Separate automation framework and simple tests. Test drive creation of the framework.
- System under Test (SUT)
Architecture - No direct talking
- Browser (Web App)
- Page Pattern - represent the UI
- Think about the layers with the framework.
As far as continous intergration goes I'm not going to include it in my process but instead create a framework so that when something new gets added in my web projects to run it locally.