My First Windows 8 App publishing Experience
|you can find it here!|
Windows 8 AppOk, so lets say you have an window's 8 app ready to go. You go to the Store tab top of your visual studio window and from there you create a package. This is all easy and its not until you finish packaging you app that things start getting more complicated. In order to complete your packaging you need to test it against the Microsoft kit, which in my opinion was annoying but it shouldn't be a problem if you debugged or ran you program before hand.
|Windows App Certification 2.2|
It is important to note that when I started publishing my app the kit was in an earlier version and would constantly crash during start up or not start my app. Since I've started the kit has updated numerous times and much of those problems have been fixed in the 2.2 version. This kit does nothing more than stress test your app so it comes as no surprise that more test are to come...
Windows 8 Store
Now to get down to the detail in publishing your app in the store, there are eight section in the Windows 8 app store however two sections Services, and Notes to the Testers are not required to be filled but the rest are.
I started my first attempt to get published in mid March, 2013 and didn't actually get published until the middle of April. I can say experience wasn't too difficult to figure things out but there was a few mishaps when I sent my app out to be certified. A few of my problems I had were with the store itself, such as different reports, even if I made no changes! That's just reattempting with the same code and inputs for the app store fields,. Now lets talk about the reasons I failed and how I corrected them.
The second reason my app failed was the actual windows store itself problem. First it was telling my app was not unique, which I overcame by submitting my app with the definition of "Unique". This problem was never reported again... Next was it telling me my comments in the description were not detailed enough. Once it even came back with telling me caption text for the app was not clear enough. This because of another problem with the windows 8 store I had. When I went to fill out the Description section ever time I tried to add text to the caption in the screen shots it would clear. I overcame this by just submitting multiple times to the Description section.
This last note wasn't a problem but I thought it was interesting, when you need to package your app you have a file that you must submit to the store. Well there is also a tab in visual studio that should bring up the store and allow you to submit that way. However clicking on the tab at that time didn't work and I have to drag and drop manual. What was slightly more annoying was that I had to manual drop each version of the packages as there is the 64 bit versions and 32 bits version.
I really like the windows 8 store, but in the beginning there was a lot of problems. Thankfully there was no issues with my html code. If you read the link in the resources on creating a GDF file I think you will find all you need for getting published. A lot of the problems I had explained here, have been fixed but some of them still remain and the market can only improve (I think). I don't like the rating system that is in place and a lot of the reports I got were minor and easy to over come. Either way if you have a some code and would like to share it to the world I would recommend giving the windows 8 store.